Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, Iona Abbey. Drawing of monumental brass matrix.

SC 376517

Description Iona, Iona Abbey. Drawing of monumental brass matrix.

Catalogue Number SC 376517

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AGD 23/697

Scope and Content Monumental brass in the Abbey Church, Iona, Argyll and Bute Iona is one of the most important religious sites in Scotland. The earliest community was formed by St Columba who came over from Ireland around AD 563. This was replaced by the Benedictine Abbey and Augustinian Nunnery in around AD 1200. This drawing shows the remains of the slab from in front of the high altar in the abbey church. The figure wore a bascinet helmet, probably with a mail coif underneath, and had poleyns protecting his knees. The figure was armed with a sword and a dagger. The monument has been referred to as being MacLeod of Harris, but the earliest reference is to it being one of the MacLeans of Duart, who had a close connection to the abbey in the 14th century. The brass was removed during the 17th century. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/376517

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions