Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Detail of makers name.

SC 373824

Description Detail of makers name.

Catalogue Number SC 373824

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of A 27359

Scope and Content Maker's inscription on brass lantern-frame of Southerness Lighthouse, Kirkcudbrightshire Southerness Lighthouse was built by Dumfries Town Council in 1748-9 to serve the Nith Estuary and the inner Solway Firth. It was Scotland's third purpose-built lighthouse and is the second oldest to survive to the present day. This maker's inscription mark comes from the brass lantern-frame from the 1894 light-chamber. It reads: JAMES MILNE & SON LIMITED 18-ENGINEERS-94 EDINBURGH. The waters of the Nith Estuary and the inner Solway Firth are difficult to navigate because of the treacherous sand-bars. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/373824

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions