Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, Iona Abbey, museum. View of carved and inscribed graveslab of John MacIan of Ardnamuchan.

SC 373634

Description Iona, Iona Abbey, museum. View of carved and inscribed graveslab of John MacIan of Ardnamuchan.

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number SC 373634

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 568

Scope and Content Grave-slab, from Iona, Argyll and Bute Iona is one of the most important religious sites in Scotland. The earliest community was formed by St Columba who came over from Ireland around AD 563. This was replaced by the Benedictine Abbey and Augustinian Nunnery in around AD 1200. This rectangular slab was found in the south choir-aisle of the Abbey in 1875. At the top are two figures in niches. The one on the right wears 14th or 15th century West Highland armour. The other wears plate-mail. Below is a ship and a foliated cross. The Latin inscription reads 'Here lies John MacIan, lord of Ardnamurchan; and Mariota MacIan, his sister, wife of Malcolm MacDuffie, lord of Dunevin in Colonsay, bought this stone for her brother'. The slab is now in the Abbey Museum (No 107). Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/373634

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions