Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, St Oran's Chapel. Detail of mitred head at apex of arch in tomb.

SC 373626

Description Iona, St Oran's Chapel. Detail of mitred head at apex of arch in tomb.

Catalogue Number SC 373626

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 6300

Scope and Content St Oran's Chapel, Iona, Argyll and Bute Iona is one of the most important religious sites in Scotland. The earliest community was formed by St Columba who came over from Ireland around AD 563. This was replaced by the Benedictine Abbey and Augustinian Nunnery in around AD 1200. This image shows a detail from the hood-mould of the 15th-century tomb-recess in St Oran's Chapel. The carving comes from the apex of the second order of moulding. It depicts the head of a priest or bishop wearing a mitre. The chapel stands at the north end of the burial-ground, Reilig Odhrain. Both are named after a cousin of Columba. In the later Middle Ages it became the burial-place of the MacDonald Lords of the Isles and the chaplainry. It was restored in 1957. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/373626

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions