Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, Iona Abbey. Plan of former refectory doorway, partially reconstructed.

SC 373259

Description Iona, Iona Abbey. Plan of former refectory doorway, partially reconstructed.

Catalogue Number SC 373259

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AGD 23/683

Scope and Content Refectory at Iona Abbey, Argyll and Bute The Benedictine abbey at Iona was built around AD 1200 on the site of St Columba's earlier monastery. It was altered and partly rebuilt in the 13th century and again in the 15th century. It became derelict after the Reformation of 1560. This drawing shows the profile-moulding of the jambs of the original 13th-century entrance to the refectory. Now rather eroded, they comprise two orders of filleted rolls and hollows. These rise from a base with a triple-roll moulding. The refectory forms the entire north range. Built over an unvaulted undercroft, the original entrance was at the west end of the south wall. The south wall may have been originally built to screen off the cloister. It was rebuilt in the mid 20th century. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/373259

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions