Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, Iona Abbey. View of refectory from South-West during restoration.

SC 373170

Description Iona, Iona Abbey. View of refectory from South-West during restoration.

Catalogue Number SC 373170

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 3514

Scope and Content Abbey on Iona, Argyll and Bute The Benedictine abbey of Iona stands 250 m from the W shore of the Sound of Iona and overlies part of the earlier monastery founded by St Columba. The abbey was built around 1200 AD and remodeled several times. It was restored in the 20th century. This is a view of the abbey during the restoration of the refectory building. This phase of the restoration was begun in the 1940s. By this period it had been decided that the restored abbey would be home to the Iona Community. The original monastery on Iona was founded by St Columba around AD 563, after he had left Ireland to preach to the Picts. The Irish church continued on Iona until the monastery became part of the Benedictine order around AD 1200. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/373170

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions