Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, Iona Abbey. Plan showing details of choir/crossing carved capitals and preparatory drawing for 'Iona Guide'.

SC 373122

Description Iona, Iona Abbey. Plan showing details of choir/crossing carved capitals and preparatory drawing for 'Iona Guide'.

Catalogue Number SC 373122

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AGD 23/724

Scope and Content Church crossing at Iona Abbey, Argyll and Bute The Benedictine abbey at Iona was built around AD 1200 on the site of St Columba's earlier monastery. It was altered and partly rebuilt in the 13th century and again in the 15th century. It became derelict after the Reformation of 1560. This drawing shows the relief-carvings on the capital of the S respond of the E arch. The carving shows a single lion-like creature with a single head (it is shown here from two angles). The inscription is believed to refer to a master-mason. The crossing is simply the point where the choir, nave and transepts intersect (the middle of the cross). Most of the crossing at Iona dates from the 15th century. It was rebuilt between 1902 and 1904 under the direction of Thomas Ross and John Honeyman. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/373122

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions