Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona,Iona Abbey. Plan showing details of choir/crossing carved capitals and preparatory drawing for 'Iona Guide'.

SC 373112

Description Iona,Iona Abbey. Plan showing details of choir/crossing carved capitals and preparatory drawing for 'Iona Guide'.

Catalogue Number SC 373112

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AGD 23/726

Scope and Content South choir-arcade at Iona Abbey, Argyll and Bute The Benedictine abbey at Iona was built around AD 1200 on the site of St Columba's earlier monastery. It was altered and partly rebuilt in the 13th century and again in the 15th century. It became derelict after the Reformation of 1560. This drawing shows the relief-carvings on the capital of the second column from the E. The W side features a robed bishop with a crosier in his left hand, the crucifixion of Christ and a pair of angels with the Virgin and Child between them. The S choir-aisle was first built in the early 13th century when the choir was extended. Later the same century, it formed part of the large SE transept. It was rebuilt during the 15th century, along with the majority of the S side of the church. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/373112

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions