Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, Iona Abbey,interior. View of choir arcade showing capital of second column with detail of carving depicting demon with ibis or curlew.

SC 372961

Description Iona, Iona Abbey,interior. View of choir arcade showing capital of second column with detail of carving depicting demon with ibis or curlew.

Catalogue Number SC 372961

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 8576

Scope and Content South choir-arcade at Iona Abbey, Argyll and Bute The Benedictine abbey at Iona was built around AD 1200 on the site of St Columba's earlier monastery. It was altered and partly rebuilt in the 13th century and again in the 15th century. It became derelict after the Reformation of 1560. This capital comes from the second column of the arcade of the south choir-aisle. It shows some kind of mythical beast reaching out to an angel, probably St Michael, who is out of view. A large bird is perched on the beast's back. The south choir-aisle was first built in the early 13th century when the choir was extended. Later the same century, it formed part of the large south-east transept. It was rebuilt during the 15th century, along with most of the south side of the church. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/372961

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions