Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kinmount House, aerial view.

SC 372899

Description Kinmount House, aerial view.

Catalogue Number SC 372899

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of DF 5958

Scope and Content Kinmount House, Dumfriesshire Kinmount House was built between 1812-18. It was designed for the fifth Marquess of Queensberry by Robert Smirke in a Greek Revival style, and built by William Burn, then at the beginning of a long and distinguished career. The house is composed of interconnecting blocks centred upon a four-storeyed lantern-towered saloon. There is a porte-cochère projecting from the front of the house. It is built from honey-coloured polished ashlar from Cove Quarry. To the west of the house there is the single-storey ancillary wing containing servants' quarters and stables. In 1899 Barbour and Bowie added a conservatory along its south front. To the east of the house there are formal gardens. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/372899

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions