Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of stone pawl at landward end of main pier.

SC 372146

Description View of stone pawl at landward end of main pier.

Catalogue Number SC 372146

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of F 3230

Scope and Content Stone pawl at landward end of north pier of St Andrews Harbour, St Andrews, Fife St Andrews Harbour was first mentioned as a fishing port in 1226, though it probably existed in ancient times. By the later 16th century it had quays and piers. These were modified and rebuilt over the centuries, often because of storm damage. This stone pawl was used for tying up vessels. Before the piers and quays were built, boats would have simply been beached on the sands in the natural haven of the Kinness Burn estuary. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/372146

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions