Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view from South East of Harbour, 2 - 24 Shorehead and Bell Rock Tavern, St Andrews.

SC 372140

Description General view from South East of Harbour, 2 - 24 Shorehead and Bell Rock Tavern, St Andrews.

Date c. 1890

Collection Erskine Beveridge

Catalogue Number SC 372140

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of F 2055

Scope and Content Shorehead, St Andrews Harbour, St Andrews, Fife St Andrews Harbour was first mentioned as a fishing port in 1226, though it probably existed in ancient times. By the later 16th century it had quays and piers. These were modified and rebuilt over the centuries, often because of storm damage. Though Shorehead has had a quay since at least the 19th-century, its name probably comes from the time when boats were beached on the sands of the natural haven at the mouth of the Kinness Burn. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/372140

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 59) Erskine Beveridge

> Item Level (SC 372140) General view from South East of Harbour, 2 - 24 Shorehead and Bell Rock Tavern, St Andrews.

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Erskine Beveridge Collection)

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions