Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Aerial view

SC 370911

Description Aerial view

Catalogue Number SC 370911

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of F 8408 CN

Scope and Content Aerial view of St Andrews Castle, Fife St Andrews Castle, the seat of the bishop of St Andrews, was destroyed during the Wars of Independence and rebuilt in its present form by Bishop Traill (1385-1401). It was besieged in 1546-7 after Protestants assassinated Cardinal Beaton. The castle occupies a strategic sight, overlooking the natural harbour on the headland, and dominating the sheltered beach which would have been a good landing-place for hostile forces. However, it was most significant as an official residence. In 1546, Cardinal Beaton burned Wishart, the protestant preacher, outside St Andrews Castle. He was then killed by protestant activists who seized the castle and, with their supporters including John Knox, held it until overcome by French forces in 1547. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/370911

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions