Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, general. Plan showing outline incised, ringed crosses.

SC 370870

Description Iona, general. Plan showing outline incised, ringed crosses.

Catalogue Number SC 370870

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AGD 527/42

Scope and Content Ring-headed incised cross from Iona, Argyll and Bute Iona is one of the most important religious sites in Scotland. The earliest community was formed by St Columba who came over from Ireland around AD 563. This was replaced by the Benedictine Abbey and Augustinian Nunnery in around AD 1200. This slab was once incorporated into the threshold of St Ronan's Church, and now stands outside the north wall of the Nunnery. One side has a crude ringed-cross with small circular depressions in each angle. The shape of the foot is uncertain. A number of early Christian cross-incised stones have been found on Iona. They were probably grave-markers, or possibly boundary-markers, with those decorated on both sides standing upright, and the rest being recumbent. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/370870

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions