Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, Iona Abbey. View of effigy Abbot John MacKinnon showing detail of head end.

SC 369762

Description Iona, Iona Abbey. View of effigy Abbot John MacKinnon showing detail of head end.

Catalogue Number SC 369762

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 11329

Scope and Content Carved stone effigy of Abbot John MacKinnon, from Iona, Argyll and Bute Iona is one of the most important religious sites in Scotland. The earliest community was formed by St Columba who came over from Ireland around AD 563. This was replaced by the Benedictine Abbey and Augustinian Nunnery in around AD 1200. The mitred head of the Abbot rests on two pillows. Inside the mitre is a winged human figure, the symbol of St Matthew. On each side of the head are broken figures of angels. One is the Angel Gabriel. Between his wings is an eagle for John the Evangelist. John MacKinnon was Abbot of Iona from 1467 to around 1498. This effigy of is on the north side of the presbytery in the abbey church. The inscription is unfinished and bears the beginnings of a date 15--, suggesting the effigy was made before his death. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/369762

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions