Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, Iona Abbey. Sketch showing carved capitals of cloister arcade.

SC 369683

Description Iona, Iona Abbey. Sketch showing carved capitals of cloister arcade.

Catalogue Number SC 369683

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AGD 23/728

Scope and Content Cloister at Iona Abbey, Argyll and Bute The Benedictine abbey at Iona was built around AD 1200 on the site of St Columba's earlier monastery. It was altered and partly rebuilt in the 13th century and again in the 15th century. It became derelict after the Reformation of 1560. This 13th-century capital came from one of the columns supporting the cloister arcade. It is one of three surviving carved with a foliage pattern known as a demi-palmette motif. Many of these capitals were reused as paving stones in later phases. The cloister was first built in the early 13th century. It was bounded by the nave and N transept to the S and E. The N and W sides were bounded by walls and later other buildings. It was remodeled in the 15th century and rebuilt in the mid 20th century. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/369683

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions