Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of Chapter House entrance from east

SC 369430

Description View of Chapter House entrance from east

Date c. 1930

Collection Ian G Lindsay

Catalogue Number SC 369430

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of F 4696

Scope and Content Entrance (from inside) of original chapter house of St Andrews Cathedral Church, St Andrews, Fife St Andrew's Cathedral Church and Augustinian priory were begun by Bishop Arnold and King Malcolm IV in 1160 or 1161 and, being constructed on a scale unrivalled anywhere in Britain except at Norwich, took at least half a century to complete. This is the now-blocked entrance to the original chapter house where the canons would have held meetings. The style of the columns and arches dates it to around 1250. It was turned into a vestibule for the new chapter house in 1313-21. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/369430

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions