Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

St Andrews Cathedral. View through West Entrance, from West.

SC 369427

Description St Andrews Cathedral. View through West Entrance, from West.

Date c. 1890

Collection Erskine Beveridge

Catalogue Number SC 369427

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of F 2048

Scope and Content Western entrance of St Andrew's Cathedral Church, Fife St Andrew's Cathedral Church and Augustinian priory were begun in the town of St Andrews by Bishop Arnold and King Malcolm IV in 1160 or 1161 and, being constructed on a scale unrivalled anywhere in Britain except at Norwich, took at least half a century to complete. The west end was rebuilt in the 1270s after a tempest. To the right of the door are traces of a support for a vaulted porch removed after fire-damage in the 14th century. Framed by the doorway is the east end of the church, over 100m away. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/369427

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 59) Erskine Beveridge

> Item Level (SC 369427) St Andrews Cathedral. View through West Entrance, from West.

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions