Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of Cloisters from North East at St Andrews Cathedral.

SC 369422

Description View of Cloisters from North East at St Andrews Cathedral.

Date c. 1900

Collection National Art Survey of Scotland

Catalogue Number SC 369422

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of F 5082

Scope and Content Interior of south aisle of St Andrew's Cathedral Church, St Andrews, Fife St Andrew's Cathedral Church and Augustinian priory were begun by Bishop Arnold and King Malcolm IV in 1160 or 1161 and, being constructed on a scale unrivalled anywhere in Britain except at Norwich, took at least half a century to complete. Construction took so many years that the structure reflects changes in architectural fashion. Here the eastern windows are rounded in Romanesque style, but the western windows, probably completed a few years later, are pointed in the newer Gothic style. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/369422

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 162) Records of the National Art Survey of Scotland, Edinburgh, Scotland

> Item Level (SC 369422) View of Cloisters from North East at St Andrews Cathedral.

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (National Art Survey of Scotland Collection)

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions