Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Oblique aerial view of St Andrews centred on the Cathedral and Castle from South East.

SC 369407

Description Oblique aerial view of St Andrews centred on the Cathedral and Castle from South East.

Date 1974

Collection John Dewar

Catalogue Number SC 369407

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of F 8403 CN

Scope and Content Aerial view of St Andrews Cathedral and Castle, Fife The square tower of St Rule, which is possibly of 11th-century origin but dates mainly to 1130-50 can be seen to the middle right. Just behind it is the east gable wall of the later cathedral. To the left are the remains of the cloister-walk. The long wall with arched windows is the south wall of the nave. The building of the present cathedral began in 1160 and it was finally consecrated in 1318. A fire destroyed most of it in the second half of the 14th century but it was repaired by 1440. St Andrews Cathedral-priory was an Augustinian foundation, the original community being brought to the church of St Rule around 1127. From 1472 the bishops of St Andrews became archbishops with authority over other dioceses. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/369407

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES (John Dewar Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions