Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, Iona Abbey. Plan showing chapter house arcade profile mouldings.

SC 369126

Description Iona, Iona Abbey. Plan showing chapter house arcade profile mouldings.

Catalogue Number SC 369126

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AGD 23/687

Scope and Content Chapter-house of Iona Abbey, Argyll and Bute The Benedictine abbey at Iona was built around AD 1200 on the site of St Columba's earlier monastery. It was altered and partly rebuilt in the 13th century and again in the 15th century. It became derelict after the Reformation of 1560. This drawing shows the profile-moulding of the central column of the chapter-houses pair of arches. The capital is moulded with two rolls separated by a hollow chamfer. This is carved with foliage motifs. The base has a water-holding profile with a roll. The chapter-house forms part of the east range and is entered from the cloister. Originally dating from the 13th century, it was rebuilt at the end of the 15th. It was used as the meeting-place for the priests. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/369126

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions