Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, Iona Abbey. Plan showing profile mouldings of centre window in South wall and West doorway.

SC 369082

Description Iona, Iona Abbey. Plan showing profile mouldings of centre window in South wall and West doorway.

Catalogue Number SC 369082

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AGD 23/717

Scope and Content Nave at Iona Abbey, Argyll and Bute The Benedictine abbey at Iona was built around AD 1200 on the site of St Columba's earlier monastery. It was altered and partly rebuilt in the 13th century and again in the 15th century. It became derelict after the Reformation of 1560. This drawing shows the profile-moulding of the rear arch over the doorway in the W wall of the nave. It is moulded with two rolls. The nave of the church forms the W arm of the cross-shaped church, opposite the choir and presbytery to the E. Part of the N wall is from the original Benedictine church from around 1200 AD. The S and W walls are from the 15th-century phase of rebuilding. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/369082

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions