Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, Iona Abbey. Plan showing profile mouldings of South choir-arcade.

SC 369003

Description Iona, Iona Abbey. Plan showing profile mouldings of South choir-arcade.

Catalogue Number SC 369003

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AGD 23/702

Scope and Content Church crossing at Iona Abbey, Argyll and Bute The Benedictine abbey at Iona was built around AD 1200 on the site of St Columba's earlier monastery. It was altered and partly rebuilt in the 13th century and again in the 15th century. It became derelict after the Reformation of 1560. This drawing shows the profile-moulding of the base and capital from the N respond of the W arch of the crossing. The capital is cubical with the lower surface chamfered to continue the arch-moulding profile. The base is also cubical. The crossing is simply the point where the choir, nave and transepts intersect (the middle of the cross). Most of the crossing at Iona dates from the 15th century. It was rebuilt between 1902 and 1904 under the direction of Thomas Ross and John Honeyman. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/369003

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions