Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, Iona Abbey. Plan showing South-East transept details.

SC 368977

Description Iona, Iona Abbey. Plan showing South-East transept details.

Catalogue Number SC 368977

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AGD 23/705

Scope and Content South-east transept at Iona Abbey, Argyll and Bute The Benedictine abbey at Iona was built around AD 1200 on the site of St Columba's earlier monastery. It was altered and partly rebuilt in the 13th century and again in the 15th century. It became derelict after the Reformation of 1560. This drawing shows the plan of one of the remaining sections of the SE transept. The column shaft on the left consists of a filleted roll flanked on each side by a roll. The column would have supported vault-springers for one of the three planned vaults. The construction of the SE transept began in the late 13th century. It was to be a major extension to the S of the church, including both the S transept and choir-aisle. Inside it would have had three vaulted bays, but it was never completed. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/368977

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions