Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, Iona Abbey. Plan showing profile mouldings of upper East window of choir-aisle.

SC 368846

Description Iona, Iona Abbey. Plan showing profile mouldings of upper East window of choir-aisle.

Catalogue Number SC 368846

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AGD 23/700

Scope and Content Church at Iona Abbey, Argyll and Bute The Benedictine abbey at Iona was built around AD 1200 on the site of St Columba's earlier monastery. It was altered and partly rebuilt in the 13th century and again in the 15th century. It became derelict after the Reformation of 1560. This is a drawing of the profile moulding and detail of the string-course from the N wall of the choir. It consists of two chamfered (angled) faces, each with a row of dog-tooth ornament. The N choir-aisle was originally built in the early 13th century. The arcading between it and the choir, along with its W third, were lost when the area became the 15th-century sacristy. The two arches were unblocked during the restoration work. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/368846

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions