Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from north-west; half-elevation; section through centre-bay

SC 367676

Description View from north-west; half-elevation; section through centre-bay

Catalogue Number SC 367676

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of IND 205/2 P

Scope and Content Part of a drawing showing a half-elevation of Aultnaslanach Railway Viaduct, Moy, Inverness-shire Aultnaslanach Railway Viaduct carries the Aviemore to Inverness railway line which was opened by the Highland Railway Company in 1897. It is the only surviving wooden main-line railway viaduct in Britain. The viaduct has survived because it is better suited to the surrounding boggy ground than heavier metal or masonry bridges. Each of the four central frames is made up of six upright posts simply driven into the ground. This shows the complex design of the trestles supporting the viaduct. As can be seen the structure relies upon straining beams and beam stiffeners for stability. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/367676

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions