Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, Iona Abbey. Plan showing sacristy doorway with detail of capital of inner order of West jamb.

SC 366639

Description Iona, Iona Abbey. Plan showing sacristy doorway with detail of capital of inner order of West jamb.

Catalogue Number SC 366639

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AGD 23/699

Scope and Content Sacristy in church at Iona Abbey, Argyll and Bute The Benedictine abbey at Iona was built around AD 1200 on the site of St Columba's earlier monastery. It was altered and partly rebuilt in the 13th century and again in the 15th century. It became derelict after the Reformation of 1560. The hood-mould over the door to the sacristy springs from three capitals on each side. This drawing shows the details of the relief carvings which decorate those on the W jamb. The carvings include a crouched lion and intertwined foliage. The sacristy was formed in the 15th century from the 13th-century N choir-aisle. The W third of the aisle was knocked down and the two remaining arches of the arcade were blocked up. The sacristy door was built into the remains of the E arch. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/366639

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions