Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kilbrannan, Skipness Chapel. General View from North-East, overlooking Skipness Bay.

SC 366598

Description Kilbrannan, Skipness Chapel. General View from North-East, overlooking Skipness Bay.

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number SC 366598

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 690

Scope and Content Kilbrannan Chapel, Knapdale, Argyll Kilbrannan Chapel, dedicated to St Brendan, was probably built to replace Skipness Castle's chapel in around 1300. Most of the stone was quarried nearby, but the red sandstone dressings came from Arran, just across the Sound. Most of the original shell survives. The east window (left) lights the chancel where the now-missing altar stood. The top window in the west end (right) probably lit a loft over the nave. St Brendan, known as 'the Voyager', was a Celtic saint popular in the west of Scotland and the Isles. According to the 10th-century 'Voyage of Brendan', he led monks in the exploration of legendary Atlantic islands, including the Land of Promise. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/366598

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions