Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, Iona Abbey. View of window in West wall of tower.

SC 366388

Description Iona, Iona Abbey. View of window in West wall of tower.

Catalogue Number SC 366388

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 8249

Scope and Content Church tower at Iona Abbey, Argyll and Bute The Benedictine abbey at Iona was built around AD 1200 on the site of St Columba's earlier monastery. It was altered and partly rebuilt in the 13th century and again in the 15th century. It became derelict after the Reformation of 1560. The tower's W window, along with those on the S and E, is roughly square with a rectangular hood-mould. The tracery consists of three rows or three encircled quatrefoils. There is a further half row above. The tower is built over the crossing, and stands two storeys higher than the rest of the church. The top floor houses the bell-chamber. The clock in the S window was installed in 1940. It is possible that there was an earlier clock here. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/366388

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions