Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, Iona Nunnery, interior. View of North aisle chapel from West.

AG 5142

Description Iona, Iona Nunnery, interior. View of North aisle chapel from West.

Date 1973

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number AG 5142

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 366546

Scope and Content Interior view of north aisle chapel at Iona Nunnery The remains of the Augustinian nunnery stand on sheltered ground about 400m south-west of Iona Abbey. They comprise the nunnery church and portions of the associated conventual buildings standing on the south side. The remains date from the 13th century. This shows the interior of the north aisle chapel with its rib-vaulted roof. The chapel was created during the late medieval alterations, but the triangular-headed window is an original feature of the building. The church dates from the early 13th century and comprises a nave with a chancel, and with an aisle running along the north side. Abandoned in the 16th century, the ruins were consolidated in 1874 and the church partially restored in 1923. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/366123

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions