Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, Iona Nunnery. General view from South-East.

AG 5124

Description Iona, Iona Nunnery. General view from South-East.

Date 1973

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number AG 5124

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 366537

Scope and Content View from south east of church at Iona Nunnery The remains of the Augustinian nunnery stand on sheltered ground about 400m south west of Iona Abbey. They comprise the nunnery church and portions of the associated conventual buildings standing on the south side. The remains date from the 13th century. This view shows the ruined church from the north west. The remains of the nave, and the arches of the arcade between it and the north aisle, are clearly visible. The church dates from the early 13th century and comprises a nave with a chancel, and with an aisle running along the north side. Abandoned in the 16th century, the ruins were consolidated in 1874 and the church partially restored in 1923. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/366109

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions