Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, Iona Abbey, interior. View of choir North window.

SC 365333

Description Iona, Iona Abbey, interior. View of choir North window.

Catalogue Number SC 365333

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 8911

Scope and Content Presbytery window at Iona Abbey, Argyll and Bute The Benedictine abbey at Iona was built around AD 1200 on the site of St Columba's earlier monastery. It was altered and partly rebuilt in the 13th century and again in the 15th century. It became derelict after the Reformation of 1560. The N window of the presbytery has three lights (gaps for glazed panels) with the central one being ogival, or pointed. Above are a group of trefoil and quatrefoil lights of varying sizes. The hood-mould, or arch, terminals are very weathered. The 5.2 m long presbytery, along with the entire S side of the church, dates from the 15th century. It had been remodeled to widen the choir and nave, which now measured 6.9 m internally. The presbytery was rebuilt in 1904 by Honeyman and Ross. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/365333

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions