Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, Iona Abbey. View of North choir aisle in East wall.

SC 365282

Description Iona, Iona Abbey. View of North choir aisle in East wall.

Catalogue Number SC 365282

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 7091

Scope and Content Church at Iona Abbey, Argyll and Bute The Benedictine abbey at Iona was built around AD 1200 on the site of St Columba's earlier monastery. It was altered and partly rebuilt in the 13th century and again in the 15th century. It became derelict after the Reformation of 1560. This is a view of the inside of the E wall of the N choir-aisle before it was restored. The upper window has an acutely pointed triangular head. The N choir-aisle was originally built in the early 13th century. The arcading between it and the choir, along with its W third, were lost when the area became the 15th-century sacristy. The two arches were unblocked during the restoration work. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/365282

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions