Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, Iona Abbey, interior. View of sacristy from South choir aisle.

SC 364588

Description Iona, Iona Abbey, interior. View of sacristy from South choir aisle.

Catalogue Number SC 364588

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 6275

Scope and Content Church at Iona Abbey, Argyll and Bute The Benedictine abbey at Iona was built around AD 1200, and was remodeled twice during the 13th century. Further work was done in the 15th century, but after the Reformation of 1560 the buildings became derelict. This is a view of the interior of the church's choir, looking towards the N wall. Part of this structure dates back to the original 13th-century abbey, though most of it is 15th-century. The restoration was directed by Thomas Ross and John Honeyman. The original monastery on Iona was founded by St Columba around AD 563, after he had left Ireland to preach to the Picts. The Irish church continued on Iona until the monastery became part of the Benedictine order around AD 1200. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/364588

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions