Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, Iona Abbey. View of 'Street of the Dead' from abbey tower.

SC 364490

Description Iona, Iona Abbey. View of 'Street of the Dead' from abbey tower.

Catalogue Number SC 364490

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 6298

Scope and Content View of 'The Street of The Dead' and Reilig Odhráin from the tower of Iona Abbey, Argyll and Bute Iona is one of the most important religious sites in Scotland. The earliest community was formed by St Columba, who came over from Ireland around 563AD. The Irish church continued until the monastery became part of the Benedictine order around 1200. The Benedictine abbey of Iona stands 250m from the west shore of the Sound of Iona, and overlies part of St Columba's monastery. Remodelled several times, it was restored in the 20th century and is now a popular place of pilgrimage. This cobbled path known as 'Sraid nam Marbh' (Street of the Dead) formed part of a processional way from the landing place at Martyr's Bay to the Reilig Odhráin (left). Dating from 1000, it was 2m wide and cobbled with red granite boulders from Mull. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/364490

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions