Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Publication drawing. Castle Sween; section C-C1

SC 360789

Description Publication drawing. Castle Sween; section C-C1

Date 1990

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number SC 360789

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of DC 24579

Scope and Content Section (C-C1) cutting through west wing of Castle Sween, Knapdale, Argyll Sween Castle was probably begun in the late 12th century by Suibhne, the first of the MacSween lords of Knapdale. In 1262, the family lost Knapdale to the king's ally, the earl of Menteith, and subsequently became Irish landowners and mercenaries. Only the lowest parts of the 13th-century MacSween west wing (right) survive. Changes in the stonework (left) suggest that the curtain wall was remodelled and heightened after 1200, perhaps when the west wing was built. Until the Scots victory at Largs in 1266, the MacDonald Lords of the Isles supported their overlord, the King of Norway, in his struggle not to lose the Western Isles to the King of Scots. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/360789

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions