Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Publication drawing. Castle Sween; section B-B1

SC 360788

Description Publication drawing. Castle Sween; section B-B1

Date 1990

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number SC 360788

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of DC 24579

Scope and Content Section (B-B1) cutting through the north-east tower of Castle Sween, Knapdale, Argyll Castle Sween was granted to the MacDonald Lords of the Isles in 1376. From 1440 it was kept for them by the MacNeills, and then, in the early 1470s, by Alexander MacMillan. The castle was forfeited in 1475 and granted to the Campbells. The north-east tower (right) held a ground-floor kitchen. Changes in the stonework (left) suggest that the original curtain wall was remodelled and heightened after 1200. James IV dispossessed the last of the semi-independent - or from the king's perspective, rebellious - MacDonald Lords of the Isles in 1493. The king granted their lands to the Campbell Earl of Argyll who he trusted to control the west coast of Scotland. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/360788

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions