Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Publication drawing. Castle Sween; sections.

SC 360786

Description Publication drawing. Castle Sween; sections.

Date 1990

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number SC 360786

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of DC 24579

Scope and Content Sections through Castle Sween, Knapdale, Argyll Castle Sween, Scotland's oldest standing castle, was built to defend Knapdale in the 12th century and modified in the 14th and 15th centuries. Garrisoned for the Parliament in 1640s, it was captured and burnt by Royalists and then abandoned. Changes in the curtain wall's stonework suggest it was heightened after 1200 when the first west wing was built. Traditionally, the north-east tower was built by Alexander MacMillan who held Sween for the MacDonalds after 1473. The Lordship of Knapdale was lost by the MacSweens to Walter Stewart Earl of Menteith in 1262, then inherited by Robert II. In 1376 he granted most of it to the MacDonald Lords of the Isles who, in 1475, lost it by forfeiture to the Campbell Earls of Argy Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference Inv. fig. 248

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/360786

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions