Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Ground Floor Plan showing building phases u.s. u.d.

SC 360565

Description Ground Floor Plan showing building phases u.s. u.d.

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number SC 360565

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AGD 526/8

Scope and Content Plan of Kilbrannan Chapel, Knapdale, Argyll Kilbrannan Chapel, dedicated to St Brendan, was probably built to replace Skipness Castle's chapel in around 1300. Most of the stone was quarried nearby, but the red sandstone dressings came from Arran, just across the Sound. A now-missing wooden rood-screen separated the nave from the chancel. The stonework around the north door contains a slot for a heavy wooden bar. St Brendan, known as 'the Voyager', was a Celtic saint popular in the west of Scotland and the Isles. According to the 10th-century 'Voyage of Brendan', he led monks in the exploration of legendary Atlantic islands, including the Land of Promise. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/360565

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions