Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Castle Sween. Detail of masonry arch supporting North-West platform on West side.

SC 359781

Description Castle Sween. Detail of masonry arch supporting North-West platform on West side.

Catalogue Number SC 359781

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 13284

Scope and Content Supporting-arch in gully under west wing of Castle Sween, Knapdale, Argyll Sween Castle was probably begun in the late 12th century by Suibhne, the first of the MacSween lords of Knapdale. In 1262, the family lost Knapdale to the king's ally, the earl of Menteith, and subsequently became Irish landowners and mercenaries. This arch was built to enclose a gully in the shattered outcrop of rock on which the west wing was built in the early 13th century. Until the Scots victory at Largs in 1266, the MacDonald Lords of the Isles supported their overlord, the King of Norway, in his struggle not to lose the Western Isles to the King of Scots. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/359781

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions