Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Castle Sween. Detail of sill of window in East wall at ground floor level of Kitchen tower.

SC 359779

Description Castle Sween. Detail of sill of window in East wall at ground floor level of Kitchen tower.

Catalogue Number SC 359779

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 13276

Scope and Content Window-sill in east wall of north-east tower of Castle Sween, Knapdale, Argyll Castle Sween was granted to the MacDonald Lords of the Isles in 1376. From 1440 it was kept for them by the MacNeills, and then, in the early 1470s, by Alexander MacMillan. The castle was forfeited in 1475 and granted to the Campbells. The north-east tower is traditionally known as the MacMillan tower. However, Alexander MacMillan must have only held the castle for about three years, probably not enough time to complete a project like this. James IV dispossessed the last of the semi-independent - or from the king's perspective, rebellious - MacDonald Lords of the Isles in 1493. The king granted their lands to the Campbell Earl of Argyll who he trusted to control the west coast of Scotland. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/359779

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions