Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Castle Sween, interior. General view of East wall-walk from North-East turret.

SC 359777

Description Castle Sween, interior. General view of East wall-walk from North-East turret.

Catalogue Number SC 359777

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 13268

Scope and Content East wall-walk from north-east turret of Castle Sween, Knapdale, Argyll Castle Sween was granted to the MacDonald Lords of the Isles in 1376. From 1440 it was kept for them by the MacNeills, and then, in the early 1470s, by Alexander MacMillan. The castle was forfeited in 1475 and granted to the Campbells. Some time in the 15th-century, the inner wall (right) was raised to form the gable of the large east range occupying almost half of the courtyard. Before 1250, castles usually had a wooden hall for feasts and public occasions, and a separate two-storeyed stone chamber-block for the lord's family. After 1250, it became fashionable to build the two side-by-side in a single block. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/359777

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions