Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Castle Sween, interior. General view of North wall-head showing kitchen tower and courtyard.

SC 359775

Description Castle Sween, interior. General view of North wall-head showing kitchen tower and courtyard.

Catalogue Number SC 359775

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 13265

Scope and Content View along north ramparts showing 15th century tower and east range of Castle Sween, Knapdale, Argyll Castle Sween was granted to the MacDonald Lords of the Isles in 1376. From 1440 it was kept for them by the MacNeills, and then, in the early 1470s, by Alexander MacMillan. The castle was forfeited in 1475 and granted to the Campbells. To the left is the 15th-century north-east tower which reuses earlier arrow-slits. The well is just visible to the right at the base of the wall. Next to it are two masonry piers for supporting the floor of the late medieval east-range. Before 1250, castles usually had a wooden hall for feasts and public occasions, and a separate two-storeyed stone chamber-block for the lord's family. After 1250, it became fashionable to build the two side-by-side in a single block. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/359775

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions