Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Castle Sween. Oblique aerial view of North-West angle and North-West tower from South wall-head

SC 359773

Description Castle Sween. Oblique aerial view of North-West angle and North-West tower from South wall-head

Catalogue Number SC 359773

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 13257

Scope and Content North-west corner of Castle Sween, Knapdale, Argyll Sween Castle was probably begun in the late 12th century by Suibhne, the first of the MacSween lords of Knapdale. In 1262, the family lost Knapdale to the king's ally, the earl of Menteith, and subsequently became Irish landowners and mercenaries. In the corner is the remains of a groove, or chase, probably intended as a roof-support for now-vanished wooden domestic buildings. Beneath it are the foundations of a covered stair leading to a toilet, or garderobe. Before 1250, castles usually had a wooden hall for feasts and public occasions, and a separate two-storeyed stone chamber-block for the lord's family. After 1250, it became fashionable to build the two side-by-side in a single block. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/359773

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions