Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Castle Sween. General view from North-West.

SC 359768

Description Castle Sween. General view from North-West.

Date 1983

Catalogue Number SC 359768

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 13237

Scope and Content Exterior of west wing of Castle Sween, Knapdale, Argyll Sween Castle passed to the Stewart Earls of Menteith in 1262. In the Wars of Independence it was held by Sir John Menteith and John MacDougall of Lorn against the MacDonald Lords of the Isles and the original owners, the MacSweens. The west wing was almost entirely rebuilt by John Menteith around 1300. The round tower (left) contained a latrine which emptied onto the rocks at its base. During the Wars of Independence, Argyll was a war-zone as the English tried to control it by taking sides in local feuds. This blocked any Scottish naval expedition to Ireland, and allowed men and money to be shipped in from the English colonies there. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/359768

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions