Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kilbrannan Chapel. Detail of Campbell of Skipness enclosure in churchyard.

SC 359236

Description Kilbrannan Chapel. Detail of Campbell of Skipness enclosure in churchyard.

Date 1965

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number SC 359236

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 693

Scope and Content Detail of Campbell of Skipness mural monument, Kilbrannan Chapel, Skipness, Argyll and Bute Kilbrannan Chapel stands c.320m south-east of Skipness Castle on the eastern shore of Skipness Bay. Dating from the late 13th or early 14th century, it is dedicated to St Brendan and was probably out of use by the end of the 18th century. Although roofless, the chapel is relatively well-preserved. The remains lie within a burial-ground which contains many late medieval and Post-Reformation (post-1560) tombstones and monuments, including this mural monument on the south wall of the chapel. Situated within the Campbell of Skipness burial-enclosure, this monument commemorates Colin Campbell (d.1756). The pilastered panel, with the family coat of arms above, is set within a Tuscan portico composed of Doric columns and a triangular pediment. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference Inv. plate 31d

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/359236

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions