Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kilbrannan Chapel, McKinnin Tombstone. Detail of McKinnin tombstone in churchyard, dated 1793, with a ploughman and plough team.

SC 359235

Description Kilbrannan Chapel, McKinnin Tombstone. Detail of McKinnin tombstone in churchyard, dated 1793, with a ploughman and plough team.

Date 1965

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number SC 359235

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 689

Scope and Content Detail of farmer's gravestone, Kilbrannan Chapel, Skipness, Argyll and Bute Kilbrannan Chapel stands c.320m south-east of Skipness Castle on the eastern shore of Skipness Bay. Dating from the late 13th or early 14th century, it is dedicated to St Brendan and was probably out of use by the end of the 18th century. Although roofless, the chapel is relatively well-preserved. The remains lie within a burial-ground which contains many late medieval and Post-Reformation (post-1560) tombstones and monuments, including this mid-18th-century gravestone. This stone commemorates Angus McKinnin from Sron (Strone), who died in 1739. He was probably a farmer, judging from the carved representation of a four-horse plough-team below the blank inscription panel. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference Inv. plate 31a

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/359235

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions