Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view of chapel from North West

AG 716

Description General view of chapel from North West

Date 1965

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number AG 716

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 359264

Scope and Content Kilbrannan Chapel, Knapdale, Argyll Kilbrannan Chapel, dedicated to St Brendan, was probably built to replace Skipness Castle's chapel in around 1300. Most of the stone was quarried nearby, but the red sandstone dressings came from Arran, just across the Sound. The south door leads into the nave where the worshippers would have gathered. The stonework around it contains a slot for a heavy wooden bar. St Brendan, known as 'the Voyager', was a Celtic saint popular in the west of Scotland and the Isles. According to the 10th-century 'Voyage of Brendan', he led monks in the exploration of legendary Atlantic islands, including the Land of Promise. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/359023

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions