Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Detail of round-headed window

AG 719

Description Detail of round-headed window

Date 1965

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number AG 719

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 359260

Scope and Content Outside of window in north wall of chamber-block (or hall-house) at Skipness Castle, Knapdale, Argyll In 1261, Skipness Castle belonged to the MacSweens of Knapdale, vassals of the Lords of the Isles. In 1262, they were forced to grant Knapdale to the king's ally, Walter Stewart, Earl of Menteith. They subsequently became Irish landowners and mercenaries. This north window was originally fitted with shutters. It lit the first floor of the MacSween chamber-block (or hall-house). The stone frame held two narrow glazed panels or lights. Until the Scots victory at Largs in 1266, the MacDonald Lords of the Isles supported their overlord, the King of Norway, in his struggle not to lose the Western Isles to the King of Scots. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/359019

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions