Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view from west of the Thistle pottery works, Portobello, Edinburgh.

SC 358494

Description General view from west of the Thistle pottery works, Portobello, Edinburgh.

Date 1972

Catalogue Number SC 358494

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of ED 5742

Scope and Content Thistle Pottery (also known as Portobello or Waverley Pottery), Portobello, City of Edinburgh Thistle Pottery was founded around 1770 and owned by the Buchan family from 1867. In 1879 it was rebuilt and extended onto the site of an earlier pottery's harbour. In 1972, just before closure, it was making stoneware from Devon and Cornwall clay. The pottery was the largest and longest surviving factory of its kind on the south bank of the Forth. The earliest part on Harbour Road (by the parked car), contains a roof structure of about 1800. The kilns (left of the chimney) date from the 1900s. Although Scottish potteries made some use of local clay, their sites were usually chosen for their nearness to a good supply of coal. It took about 15 tons of coal to fire one ton of pottery. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/358494

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions